He’s also not a fan of About
pages written in the 3rd person…
Hi, it’s Mark here. And it’s true, I wanted this “About” page to be written in the first person. That’s because the most common feedback I receive from business owners around the world is that we speak the same language… the language of an entrepreneur.
We both know what it means to take personal and professional risk. We’ve seen it all. Endured the highs and lows.
And the result?
I’m able to have an honest, down-to-earth conversation about selling your business without the jargon or the sales pitch. This comes from having been in your shoes. I’ve started and exited my own businesses, and advised hundreds of other entrepreneurs on the sales of theirs.
For the last 15 years, I’ve been a Managing Director at STS Capital Partners International, a leading mid-market M&A advisory firm. As MD of Europe/Africa, my team and I work with entrepreneurs and family-owned businesses in virtually every sector, across multiple jurisdictions. We also regularly advise clients in North America, Middle East and beyond. I’ve personally experienced the same concerns, questions and uncertainty that come with selling a business. There are very few M&A advisors who can connect and identify with you, as a business owner, in the way I can.
A well-connected and dedicated partner for your exit strategy
“VanMoof has become one of the most successful e-bike brands in the world. As a co-founder, it’s important to have others around me who challenge assumptions and offer fresh perspectives and strategies. Mark is absolutely that type of individual… and serves as a great sparring partner on all matters related to our corporate finance needs. He’s down to earth, passionate, very creative and seems to know everyone.”
Co-founder and CEO, VanMoof (www.vanmoof.com)
Besides my entrepreneurial background, you may be wondering about my qualifications and credentials, too.
Here’s a quick overview:
- Longest serving Global Managing Director at STS Capital Partners (15 years)
- Trusted advisor to billionaire entrepreneurs, family-owned businesses, institutional investors and SME business owners globally
- Engaged by various European private banks to assist their entrepreneur clients on exit related matters
- Book Awards: Best Business Book Paris Book Festival;
- Runner-up same category New York & Los Angeles Book Festivals (2018 & 2021)
- Regular guest speaker at Saїd Business School (Oxford Univ.) for MBA, Executive MBA and Executive Education courses on M&A
- Expert speaker at various events globally (Facebook, YPO, Oxford, SAS, private banks, etc)
- Oxford University; MBA (Saїd Business School)
- Christ Church College (a fascinating Oxford Univ. college)
- Syracuse University; B.S. Economics and Business, Syracuse University (New York)
- Runner-up for International M&A Thought Leader of the Year (2018) by AM&AA
When I’m not working with business owners on their exits, I’m at home, near the sea and dunes in the Netherlands with my wife, Marije and two boys, Maximilian and Mason.
If you’ve made it this far, here’s what you can do to drastically improve your probability of exit success…
I’m not sure what stage you’re at in terms of selling your business, but the one thing I recommend to every business owner is to know the rules of selling your business before you get started.
Here are 3 ways you can do that:
Each of these 3 options will improve your probability of an exceptional exit by empowering and equipping you to make informed decisions at every stage of your exit process.